Sunday, August 24, 2014

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (Book Review)

"When I think of my wife, I always think of her head."

Review: When was the last time you picked up a book and simply could not put it down? It was so good you risked losing sleep and missing your train stop it was so good? The last time I read a book that was like that was probably The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. That was almost a year ago that I read that book.

Anyway, this book right here though!? I can't even begin to tell you how great this was. It's one of those "don't tell your friends..." kind of books because there is a twist and turn at just about every chapter. No, scratch that. There is a twist and turn on every freaking page!

I have to admit that I was even fooled. Oh wait, perhaps I've revealed too much in that statement already? I don't want to give away any spoilers. All I will say is it reminded me about that Lacey Peterson story from way back. We all just knew the husband did it. Remember that? Well, I put you in that mindset of what it's about. Just don't assume anything yet. I simply recommend you read the book!

Normally I shy away from "Bestsellers" if I can. I hate to be one of like several dozen reading the same book. So I decided to wait till the paperback came out. I also decided to add this to my list of must reads right away because the movie, starring Ben Affleck, is due out in October. Whenever possible I prefer to have read the book before I see the movie. I know sometimes that is ill advised. Especially nowadays when movies seem to be straying further and further away from the books they're supposed to be based on, but I can't help it. And it's rear for me to like a movie better than the book so why not enjoy the best parts first right?

I'm not going to say anymore in this review, cause like I said, it's one that can be spoiled even by divulging the slightest of details. I much rather you read it. And for those of you who might be like me, thinking this isn't the book for you cause it's outside of the genre you'd normally read, I want to say I felt the same way as well. For a while I didn't want to read it because thriller novels aren't really something I care for. And while this isn't on the level of Stephen King in terms of scare factor, the suspense is up there. I guarantee you'll be surprised at just how much you'll enjoy reading this and how quickly you'll finish it. So especially to those who think this is not their kind of book I say, take a chance and give it a read. Better yet, let's make this a challenge. I challenge you to read to page 24 and I dare you to stop after that. I bet you won't...

Synopsis: On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?

Gone Girl
by Gillian Flynn
420 pages
Broadway Books, 2012 
mystery/thriller/suspense
Read in 4 days

Rating: ★★★
Amazon | BN

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...