Friday, January 3, 2014

End of Year Book Survey (2013)


I'm so pleased with the amount and caliber of books I read this year. I also look forward to the books I plan on reading in 2014 already! But before I  begin the New Year that will be comprised of newly released and classics of all genres, I want to spend some time looking back on what I read this year.

I found this End of Year Book Survey that is going on its 4th year and thought I'd join in on the fun. You can join too! The Survey is hosted by Perpetual Page Turner.

There are no links to my reviews in order to complete this survey as quickly as possible and get it posted! Next year I'll be sure to be prepared with links for them as well.

Best YA book 2013

1. Best Book You Read in 2013?

This is the easiest question so I'm glad it's the first question. My answer would have to be The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. If you look on my bookshelf closest to me right now you would agree since I currently have 3 copies of the book. Two hardcover editions and one soft cover edition. I know they have a "move softcover" edition but that's the only one I'm choosing NOT to buy. I don't like "Movie Version" books. Anyway, I loved The Book Thief because it has elements that I believe all great novels should have: likeable characters, easy flowing storyline, believable drama, laughter, pain, love, and a great ending. This book had all of that and much more. Not only that but it's narrated by DEATH! Yeah, it's freaking awesome and I recommend reading it BEFORE seeing the movie if you haven't done so already.

2. Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn't?

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz

3. Most surprising (in a good way) book of 2013?

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce was not even a book I heard of until I picked it up as a part of B&N's "Buy 2 Get the 3rd Free" deals. It wasn't till I started reading it and found I could NOT put the book down that I have to say of the 50+ books it was the most surprising. Because of this book if I see something with an interesting title I'm just going to trust my gut instinct and buy it. I'm sure this book was popular in some social circles but this book, for me, just goes to show how a great book can come from any person/genre.

4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

5. Best series you discovered in 2013?

The Odd Thomas Series by Dean Koontz just might have to be my answer for this one. I almost went with the Veronica Roth series but I think for books that I just instantly love Odd Thomas is definitely it. I never thought I could really and truly care about a male character in a book that I could so easily relate to and understand and have compassion for? But Dean Koontz has created such a dynamic character that it's hard NOT to fall for Odd! I've read 3 of his series in one year and if I didn't have dozens of other books in my queue I'd hurry to read the next 3! But I like spacing them out, giving myself time to truly appreciate each one.

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?

I love Marissa Meyer, and if I had answered this survey question in 2012 she'd have been my answer hands down. But, for 2013, I have to answer Megan Shepherd, whose debut novel The Madman's Daughter gripped me from beginning to end. I love it so much I actually pre-ordered the book through her parents small book shop for her to sign and personalize it for me! It's one of those series that I'm sure when it's done I'll be saying, "I wish I had thought of that!"

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

This is another easy question for me to answer. Quiet by Susan Cain is definitely out of my comfort zone. I normally don't read books that are like a "self-help" non-fiction book but I became interested in it when I saw it on the shelf because I am VERY introverted and it was nice to read an account of introverts that shows how great we are. It's a good argument to anyone who says EVERYONE should be an extrovert. We all aren't built the same way and there are hundreds of famous introverts who probably would not have succeeded in their various fields if they were forced to be extroverted.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable, book of 2013?

In an effort to NOT answer The Book Thief for every single question I'll say Joyland by Stephen King was definitely one of the many books I read this year that I could not put down. I'm picking this one for my answer though because he isn't an author I'm quick to pick up and read, finish, let alone want to keep reading till I finish the book. I've not read enough of his novels to say this is one of his best books by far, but for me, it's one of the best of his I've read.

9. Book you read in 2013 that you are most likely to re-read next year?

Can I answer The Book Thief again? Alright, alright I won't! I may re-read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. The little girl Flavia who solves the case it a hoot and her older sisters make it all the most interesting. It's a part of a long lasting series that I hope to really get into in 2014.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?


11. Most memorable character in 2013?

I'm torn between Odd Thomas and Liesel Meminger! So I'll say I picked one male and one female and leave it at that!

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?

Okay, I know I wouldn't answer The Book Thief again, but honestly, of all the books I've read I can't NOT say this book wasn't the most beautifully written without a doubt.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie would need to be my answer on SO MANY levels. To begin with, I participated and completed my very first NaNoWriMo this November. If not for the genius of Agatha Christie I would never think myself capable of creating a character, writing a novel (with hopes of multiple books to follow) and making it a mystery of all genres. I love a great mystery and this one won for best "whodunit" novel EVER. It definitely is! I'm even prouder of myself for having solved it before it ended!

14. Book you can't believe you waited until 2013 to finally read?

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

One of the classics of classics yet I had never read it. It's also one of the books where I saw the movie before I read it. However, it had been over a decade since I had seen the movie so it didn't influence my reading the book afterwards whatsoever. I was surprised at how similar they both were so I appreciated that in the end.

15. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read in 2013?

"A last note from your narrator: I am haunted by humans" (From The Book Thief)

16. Shortest & Longest book you read in 2013?

Shortest - The Narrative of John Smith by Arthur Conan Doyle (138pp)
Longest - The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (552pp)

17. Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to somebody about it?

Oh man! That scene would have to be the end of Forever Odd. I can't ruin it by telling you, just know, when an ending is able to trip ME up, it's damn good. Dean Koontz truly outdid himself with the ending of Forever Odd.

18. Favorite relationship from a book you read in 2013?

It would definitely come from the Odd Thomas books I read this year. There are two key relationships and both include Odd. His romantic relationship with his girlfriend/fiance Stormy and his friendship with Elvis Presley's ghost. Yes, I said Elvis Presley. And yes, I said he is a ghost.

19. Favorite book you read in 2013 from an author you've read previously?

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire

20. Best book you read in 2013 that you read based SOLELY on a recommendation from somebody else?

So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane recommended to me by Heather of Between the Covers.

21. Genre you read the most from 2013?

I guess not surprisingly this year I read a majority of Young Adult books. 2014 I will try to lean more towards historical fiction and non-fiction.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?

This is one thing I have never developed for a character; a crush. I hold out hopes for 2014 though.

23. Best 2013 debut you read?

The Bookman's Tale by Charlie Lovett

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?

Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

I felt like I was in the circus and a part of the various circus acts involved in the book. It's a serious period piece that relies on the scenery just as much as it does on the characters ability to sell the story to the reader. I was sold.

25. Book that was the most fun to read in 2013?

Shakespeare's Star Wars by Ian Doescher

26. Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2013?

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Forever Odd by Dean Koontz
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

27. Book you read in 2013 that you think got overlooked this year or when it came out?

I only read a handful of "newly released" books and all of them were pretty hyped up at the time. Hence how I heard about them in the first place to read them.

reading-life-2013


1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?

I would never forgive myself if I didn't mention my college colleague' blog who I now collaborate with to review a book from time to time, Alaina of That's What She Read.

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013?

Movie Spotlight: A Christmas Carol

4. Most thought provoking review or discussion you read on somebodies blog?

5. Best event you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

Hmm, this would normally have been the National Book Festival but it wasn't all that great this year. Now, 2012 (my first time going) was great and so hard to choose which book signing I wanted to go to the most. Since that wasn't the best event I'd have to defer to getting to hear Maya Angelou speak just before her book signing. She arrived in a wheelchair with an oxygen tank that she had to use several times during the signing portion, even after she had a glass of champagne poured for herself! What made it so great were her words to us all. We were informed she would not say anything, just go directly to the signing because she insisted on personalizing EVERY book (which would take time for anyone), but she spoke for what seemed like 20 minutes but was probably much less than that. She was and always will be an inspiration.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?

All the fellow book bloggers I've met through their blogs would have to be the best. I've not met any of them personally, just spoken through Twitter and comments we leave on each others posts.

7. Most popular post this year on your blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

The Land of Stories: The Enchantress Returns by Chris Colfer (almost 75 page views since it was written)

8. Post you wish got a little more love?

All of my book reviews, especially the "Spotlights" and "Read of the Town" ones that I write. I spend a lot of time coming up with who/what to spotlight as well as pour through countless "book related" news items to see what people are talking about for my "Read of the Town" that it would be nice to know if others read them and either find them informative enough to take my advice or if they're just a waste of my time?

9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

Discovering other locations, besides B&N, for where book signings take place was good this year. I went to one at 92nd Street Y (Anjelica Huston) and The Strand (James Franco).

10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of the year?

I set many goals (created my own Book Challenge, Goodreads 150 book challenge, joined 5 book challenges, and NaNoWriMo) but of all of them I only completed NaNoWriMo and I barely did that! So this year I'm committing myself only to things I know I can do. That is why I set a Goodreads goal of reading 52 books this year (one book a week) because I read 53 last year so I'm more than confident that I can do that.
2014-books


1. One book you didn't get to in 2013 but will be your Number 1 priority in 2014?

That would be the book I am reading right now. I had intended to spend my 12 day vacation from work (December 20th - January 2nd) reading Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. Unfortunately, sickness overtook me and when I'm sick the last thing I want to do it sit and read because I can't sit still long enough. I'm still reading it (slowly) and intend on finishing it well within the week I'm giving myself for each book I read this year.

2. Book(s) you are most anticipating for 2014 (non-debut)?

Cress by Marissa Meyer AND Hollow City by Ransom Riggs AND Her Dark Curiosity by Megan Shepherd

3. 2014 debut you are most anticipating?

Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige

4. Series ending you are most anticipating in 2014?

I'm not reading anything that is scheduled to end in this year. But I will have AT LEAST 3 (see previous answer) for this post come 2015!

5. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging in 2014?

First and foremost I intend on finishing my Goodreads goal of reading 52 books. I also intend on completing my second NaNoWriMo in November. As of right now I have not committed myself to anything else yet, but whatever I do, I intend on finishing this year!

2 comments:

  1. Didn't realize Maya Angelou was so sick. Sounds like you really lucked out by hearing her speak.

    I know Diane Duane from her Star Trek novels. Her specialty is the Romulans, and she's done a lot in fleshing out their world and culture.

    I've only read one Dean Koontz book and I don't remember what it was. If this new book series of his is that good, I may give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great answers. I really need to get the Book Thief, it's so recommended!

    Like how you're reading all the Poirots. I have the last book too but don't want to read it until I've read all the other novels with him in it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...