Monday, January 7, 2013

The Pigman by Paul Zindel (Book Review)

The Pigman
By Paul Zindel

166 pages
Harper Trophy, 1968
Young Adult literature
Finished in 2 days

My Rating: ★★★★

"Now, I don't like school, which you might say is one of the factors that got us involved with this old guy we nicknamed the Pigman."

My Review: I remember when I was a pre-teen and I would call my grandmother a few times a week and read to her. She didn't care what I read really, I think she just loved how much I loved to read. I figured that out when one Christmas she gave me Sue Grafton's A-P series in one shot! But I'm straying off the subject. I mention this memory of mine because every time I read The Pigman I am reminded of the time I read it to her over the phone. I miss her very much which is probably why I jumped at the chance to read it right away.

This story is a sad one but it speaks to the heart of anyone who reads it. The idea of writing a story where two completely different personalities (Lorraine and John, the main characters) take turns writing a chapter, telling the story of how the Angelo Pignatti changed their lives forever, I would imagine, is not as easy as it sounds. You have the level headed female who happens to be friends with the stubborn, yet handsome, male. They are teenagers which is a difficult age as it is, who happen to have difficult home lives already. It is because of these difficult home lives that they instantly become attached to the Pigman. He could easily have been a grandfather figure for them but he wasn't. Instead, he was more the father and mother John wish he had and the mother Lorraine needed as well. And although both of them lied to get into his life in hopes of using his kindness for their favor, they quickly realize just having an adult around who truly loved them and never put them down or hindered their individuality was all they ever truly wanted.

This book is truly a timeless classic anyone at any age can read. I would recommend it as required reading in school where parents should read it with their child(ren). Their is humor, seriousness, and truth hidden in every page.

Synopsis: A Most Unusual Friendship
When sophomores John and Lorraine played a practical joke a few months ago on a stranger named Angelo Pignati, they had no idea what they were starting. Virtually overnight, almost against their will, the two befriended the lonely old man; it wasn't long before they were more comfortable in his house than their own. But now Mr. Pignati is dead. And for John and Lorraine, the only way to find peace is to write down their friend's story — the story of the Pigman.

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...