Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Top Five Fridays: Epic Movies

What makes an epic film epic? Epic film is a style of film-making with large scale, sweeping scope and spectacle, often transporting the viewer to other settings. As Roger Ebert and others have noted, the usage of the term has shifted over time, sometimes designating a film genre and at other times simply synonymous with big budget film-making. Like epics in the classical literary sense it is often focused on a heroic character. (from wikipedia.org)


How did I finally decide on which epic films were my favorite? If it’s so good I have to see it every time it’s on then it’s on my list. There are several epic movies I’ve seen once and one time was good enough for me. But trying to narrow my choices down to just five is proving to be harder than originally anticipated. Without further ado, here is my list, in order from when they were released on the big screen:


Land of the Pharaohs (1955)



King of Kings (1961)



Barabbas (1961)



The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965)



Gladiator (2000)



Just a few more…


Spartacus (1960)


Apocalypto (2006)


300 (2006)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...