Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: (Rewind) All-Time Favorite Books


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.


I’m glad that my first TTT is a Rewind one, meaning I can go back to their LONG list of previous TTT and pick whichever I like. I chose the first one that caught my eye (naturally) and I felt I could actually come up with ten! Keep in mind my list will go back to books I read back when I was in middle school till now so a few might seem a little on the young side, but a book doesn’t become your favorite if you forget all about it years later. So here’s my list, in no particular order:


1. Just Like Martin by Ossie Davis - I remember reading this when I was in Junior High School. It wasn’t an assignment or anything like that, I just love to read and so I decided to read it. The memory of the story has stuck with me ever since. Which, now, is a couple of decades later!


2. The Pigman by Paul Zindel - In high school, our teacher read this book to us. It was so good I bought the complete set of Pigman books (well, actually my mom bought them for me because she always fed my hunger to read) and I would read them over the phone to my grandmother. This books reminds me of all the times I used to call my grandmother on the phone and I would read to her…


3. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster - I must say it’s one of the few books where I love the movie just as much as the book. So much so, that whenever I see the movie I almost always have to go read the book again. It’s a good thing this book is short!


4. Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - When I was little and I would spend the night at my grandparents, my grandmother would read Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes stories to me to get me to fall asleep. It’s when I believe I first learned to love, admire, and appreciate both Sherlock and my grandmother. They both impressed me in so many ways! And Sir Arthur’s use of words wasn’t half bad either.


5. The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier - Like Paul Zindel’s Pigman, this book was introduced to me because it was in the same age range and genre. I don’t think I could possibly choose which I love more. I’ve grown nostalgic already and yearn to reread these two for the umpteenth time again!


6. Eloise by Kay Thompson - Of the many books my mother has read to me, this is the one story that must be listened to instead of read silently. I’ve tried so many times before to read it to myself but it always seemed to bore me. I’ve always tried reading it out loud to myself but that doesn’t work either. Have someone else read this book to you (with animated voices for each character of course) and you’ll find this book to be among your list of favorites easily.


7. Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling - Yes, I was one of the many who read each books within days of getting my hands on them. I realize this is a 7 book series and I’m probably cheating by adding them but I cannot deny it, the Harry Potter books are really good. It’s rare to be able to find a series that can easily appeal to both children and adults alike.


8. The Alchemyst by Paulo Coelho - A friend from high school recommended I read this book in order to understand her better. I confess I found I understood myself better afterwards. Paulo is a brilliant man who may not put you on the path to your destiny but he can surely help you see the path and walk along with you every step of the way.


9. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie - She is the creator of Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple but this book is easily one of, if not, THE best work she’s ever written. I’ve seen multiple movie versions of it and, I believe, it’s the only book I have multiple copies of because I never seem to remember (when I see it on the book shelf in a store) if I’ve bought it or not, and I hate to walk away without buying this timeless classic.


10. Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore - Probably the most recent book I have on my list and with good reason. Although I was never truly fond of his earlier works, this was the first book I read as an introduction to him and I must say he is very funny. If you’re ever looking for some light reading but huge humor, here is where I recommend you start, with this author and this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...