Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Happy Birthday... Katharine Hepburn



Born Katharine Houghton Hepburn on May 12th, 1907 it could easily be argued she was one of the best actresses of her time. She died on June 29th, 2003 at the wonderful age of 96! I'd say, and I'm sure she'd agree, she lived a long and wonderful life, both personally and professionally. Unlike many stars around her at the time, she truly did things her way and I think that's why many today can't quite understand her. There are rumors about how she lived her personal life, some proven and others remain murky to this day. But whatever you may think about who she was off camera, there is one thing that can't be denied about her on camera...my was she beautiful, and funny, and classy, but most of all, an amazing performer who far out-shined her co-stars. I love Katherine Hepburn at just about any age and in just about every movie I've had the pleasure of seeing her in.

Two days ago TCM showed some of her movies. Admittedly, for the exception of Bringing Up Baby, they weren't what I would consider some of her best roles. Below I'm going to list for you the ones I've seen and I would highly recommend you seek to watch as well. Many of them, I'm sure, will be featured on multiple occasions on TCM throughout the year.

Little Women (1933)
Stage Door (1937)
Bringing Up Baby (1938)
Holiday (1938)
The Philadelphia Story (1940)
Woman of the Year (1942)
Adam's Rib (1949)
The African Queen (1951)
Pat and Mike (1952)
Summertime (1955)
Desk Set (1957)
Suddenly, Last Summer (1959)
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967)

Looking back there were more Katharine Hepburn movies I DIDN'T see versus the ones I have seen. I'm not sad about it because it only helps me realize just how many more times I'll get to experience her nuanced way of smiling, and laughing, and just making me feel great while watching her act. The short list above doesn't even begin to cover some of the great roles she's played throughout her 40+ years spent as one of the most sought after stars. She played along side some leading men as well; most notably, Spencer Tracy whom she loved deeply till the day he died.

Of the list above my favorite serious role for her I'm torn between Suddenly, Last Summer and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. But as for her best comedic role I will probably always say Bringing Up Baby. No matter how many times I watch that movie I will always find myself laughing till I'm near tears.

What's your favorite Katharine Hepburn movie? Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...