Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Classics Club Spin # is...1!

I realized after my post last week that it might have been a bit confusing since it was titled "Classics Spin #6" but what that meant was the blog in question has done this challenge 5 previous times and this was their 6th time, NOT that the spin number was #6. Get it? Got it? Good...

http://theclassicsclubblog.wordpress.com/2014/05/05/the-classics-spin-6/


Now that I've explained that, the spin number was unveiled on Monday but I am a bit behind on getting things done with my writing and my reading. I have, however, set aside 7 days, from Monday, May 19th - May 25th to do some great writing and fast reading. But I digress. The point of THIS post is to simply explain the book I am challenged to read by July 7th:

http://www.penguin.com/static/pages/classics/penguindropcaps.php

This will be my first time ever reading Jane Austen. And unlike many movie lovers, I've never seen any movie (past or present) version. I've tried to stay away from classic movies I know were novels first in order to give myself time to read the book(s).

I deeply regret the amount of truly "classic literature" I either have not read or don't even have in my vast library of books. Haven't said that my library doesn't seem as vast as I thought it was actually...I plan on changing that some day. But for now, I feel I owe it to myself to fit in a classic novel from time to time amongst the reading I do every year.

I want to add one quick note about the cover of the book. I have to admit the main reason I have this edition, a special Penguin Drop Caps format, is because of its cool design. I never really looked at the titles of the books before seeing this Classics Club Spin challenge. I bought it and all the alphabet to follow because the designs are aesthetically pleasing to my eye and I like having that kind of uniformity on my bookshelves. It's probably a terrible reason to buy certain books, but I guess this challenge will help me to go one step further than simply having them as decoration and actually read some of them too!

Synopsis: When Elizabeth Bennet first meets eligible bachelor Fitzwilliam Darcy, she thinks him arrogant and conceited; he is indifferent to her good looks and lively mind. When she later discovers that Darcy has involved himself in the troubled relationship between his friend Bingley and her beloved sister Jane, she is determined to dislike him more than ever. In the sparkling comedy of manners that follows, Jane Austen shows the folly of judging by first impressions and superbly evokes the friendships,gossip and snobberies of provincial middle-class life.

2 comments:

  1. After you read this, then you must read Pride & Prejudice & Zombies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book always makes me laugh. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...