Saturday, December 14, 2013

Movie Spotlight: A Christmas Carol

Okay, I realize there are like a hundred gazillion different versions that have been made of the Charles Dickens classic A Christmas Carol. And not all of them were given the same title. There are a few (terrible) variations on the title, A Diva's Christmas Carol comes to mind...but anyway...

Allow me to go back and time, not to ALL of them, since thankfully I have not seen EVER iteration that Hallmark or Lifetime or whatever other cable channel has annoyingly come up with for the sake of making a movie. What I rather do it quickly go over the classics, and more in-depth than I usually would of just simply listing them. Instead I will tell you why I liked the versions below and why I think they should be versions seen every year at Christmastime. And don't worry, a "Christmas Movies" Spotlight will be coming up soon, just a little closer to the 25th.

I thought I'd begin with a little nugget I discovered in putting this all together. It's a classic and will help to move me forward as I list these versions from oldest to newest. The year is 1939, when sitting around the radio was how most families chose to spend their time together. Specifically, it was December 24th, 1939, when everyone was gathered around the radio to hear, for the 5th year in a row, a legend in his own right, Lionel Barrymore, reprise his role as that lovable old miser, Ebenezer Scrooge. I have the MP3 version of this specific copy I'll share with you from YouTube but I'm most excited for my vinyl copy to arrive in the mail next week. I have a feeling it will sound much better that way. So, gather your family around your electronic device, turn the volume up, and listen to the below audio version, brought to you by Campbell's Playhouse, Directed by Orson Welles, starring Lionel Barrymore in Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol.


Now that I've shared that with you (wasn't it wonderful by the way?) allow me to move forward, beginning with the role that initially was slated to cast Lionel Barrymore, who declined (not sure why??), giving the now classic lead to Reginald Owen.

_______________________________________________________________
A Christmas Carol (1938)
For me, the young man who plays Tiny Tim is probably my favorite of all the Tiny Tim's in all the movie versions I'll be sharing. If anything, watch it for him. This Scrooge is really sad and pathetic looking. Not my favorite Christmas Carol, but definitely one that you'll find on some cable or local network this time of year.












_______________________________________________________________
A Christmas Carol (1951)
Alistair Sims is to me the one Scrooge who looks so different. Probably because he's very thin and tall as opposed to the majority that may be tall but were hunched over and...well..."miserly" looking. Alistair Sims played Scrooge as a man who walked tall and almost invited the hate. The more he got the taller he stood. This movie is really all about him, where the three ghosts, Marley, and the Cratchit family, including Tiny Tim, for me, aren't that memorable. But like the Reginald Owen version, this one can most definitely be found on cable or local networks this time of year.








_______________________________________________________________
Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol (1962)
The first of only two animated Christmas Carol versions I'm mentioning. I mention this one only because who better to play Scrooge (besides Mr. Spacely from the Jetsons, who I left out so be all like WTH now and get it over with) than Mr. Magoo? That loveable blind man is a riot in this classic. As far as I know it's not easily found on tv this time of year but look anyway, some channel might have the good sense to show it. Otherwise you might have to fork over some dough to buy the DVD, but boy is it worth it.
_______________________________________________________________ 
Scrooge (1970)
I love musicals so it stands to reason why THIS version of Dickens Christmas Carol happens to be my all time favorite. Sure the others are great in their own right but with this movie I can do a whole post about it all by itself! But, I'll keep this brief. The singing is spectacular and not cheesy whatsoever. The best song in my opinion? "Thank You Very Much" because, well, the dude DANCES on Scrooges casket! Yeah, if you haven't seen the movie, see it! You can find it on all major channels and YouTube has the whole movie as well.

Albert Finney is also masterful in this role. So much so he won the Golden Globe this year for Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy! He's not a singer but when he sings it'll melt your heart for sure. And the funniest moment? When he surprises the Cratchit family. The wife is a hoot in that scene! And check out that tag line in the poster?







_______________________________________________________________
A Christmas Carol (1984)
Okay, so George C. Scott is like THE MAN. I think he actually gives Scrooge a bit of class and makes him not as dirty and just plain ick like the others do. To watch his portrayal of Scrooge you would think, "this is how Shakespeare would have written it." Oh, and by the way, check out his Bah Humbug, cause I'll say it right here and now, if you wish to EVER portray Scrooge THAT is how you say it! Nuff said!











_______________________________________________________________
Scrooged (1988)
What can I say about one of the funniest men in movies from the 80's till now? I have not seen a Bill Murray I didn't like. My all time favorites of his that quickly come to mind are Stripes, Quick Change, and What About Bob? Not to mention Ghostbuster's which he's probably most known for! But back to this movie...

Yes, it's supposed to be a "spoof" of the movies...in a way...but to me I think it shouldn't be considered a spoof at all. It's a genuinely great movie. It's the only "modern" version I have on my list that's about a mean producer. The moment that makes this movie stand out is the very end when he talks directly into the camera and tells the world about the true meaning of Christmas. Forever a classic and shown every year, so find it and watch it.
_______________________________________________________________ 
A Flintstones' Christmas Carol (1993)
This is the second and last animated one I'm choosing to showcase in my list. I love it because I love the Flintstones (more than the Jetsons, yes I said it!) and I just think how they set it up to be a stage play within their real lives and how Fred begins to show Scrooge-like behavior even when he's not on stage is great. Yes, Mr. Magoo is done in the same way, but I think this Flintstones version truly captured the meaning of Christmas in a great way.

And I gotta say, BamBam saying one of the THE most famous lines of the book and all the movies was one of the most memorable, for me.






_______________________________________________________________
Ms. Scrooge (1997)
 Cicely Tyson is not the first or the only woman to portray Scrooge and she certainly won't be the last but I don't think anyone can do it better. I've seen Vanessa Williams, Susan Lucci, and even Tori Spelling try, but they all missed the mark completely! And what's better than Cicely Tyson as Scrooge? Why none other than Katherine Helmond (I know and love her from Who's the Boss?) as Maude Marley!

This is truly a classic that changed as little as possible from the book and other movie versions traditionally played by men as the lead. I think that's what the other female Scrooge movies missed, they changed and modernized it so much that it just takes the spirit right out of the whole thing. Watch this version if you are looking to see Scrooge portrayed as a woman. You'll be glad you did.



_______________________________________________________________
A Christmas Carol (1999)
Ah, Patrick Stewart! If not for the Albert Finney version I would say THIS one is my favorite. Why? Well besides the fact that you'll be seeing Captain Jean-Luc Picard in the role of Scrooge you mean?!

Hmm, well the moment I feel should have easily won him awards and accolades upon accolades in my book is when he realizes he's not dead. That moment is iconic among ALL true Christmas Carol movies. Everyone does it differently and each one is unique in their own way. But the laughter that comes forth from Patrick Stewart? I don't know where it came from or how he did it but you'll find yourself laughing with him. HE LIVES and is going to keep on LIVING! Now isn't THAT the point (among others) of Christmastime and this Dickens classic?




_______________________________________________________________
A Christmas Carol (2009)
Of all the Christmas Carol movies I mentioned above this is the only one I saw on the big screen. In IMAX 3-D I believe. And it was great! Again, just the simple retelling of a true classic. The animation was superb and so lifelike. Jim Carrey outdoes himself again with the way he emotes with his voice the words of Scrooge.

It wasn't until this animated movie that I realized all the actor has to go on to show their true abilities is their voice and Jim Carrey's voice was definitely made for the part of Scrooge. I give props to the animation but a huge round of applause to the voice behind the man. You did Dickens and Scrooge proud for sure!

1 comment:

  1. The George C. Scott version has always been my favorite...because it's George C. Scott.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...