Thursday, October 31, 2013

Author Spotlight: Edgar Allan Poe


It's Halloween Day, and while it doesn't feel like it here in NYC (seriously lacking in decorations and costumes), I'm reminded of Edgar Allan Poe and just how great his stories sound when read out loud. Have you read any of his works? If you haven't I'm shocked, but I am sure you've seen or heard one of his many poems or short stories mentioned somewhere in your life time right??

I tried to remember the first time I became acquainted with Mr. Poe, like what I first read and how old I was? I don't really remember except to say it wasn't in school. Unlike Shakespeare, who was assigned several times during my schooling (little of it I remember also) Poe, I suppose, was a bit darker in subject? In any case, I remember reading "The Fall of the House of Usher" and being absolutely fascinated by the idea of a house being the "evil" in the story. Of course I read The Raven and The Tell Tale Heart as well but there are so many, each as good as the last. His works are available to read for free just about anywhere (digitally) you look. This website for instance has them all nicely listed alphabetically with his biography and quotes. You can download his complete works on whatever e-reader you may have handy. I, on the other hand, have 3 different Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe books in my personal library. Why? One I bought for myself recently because the cover looks freakin' awesome, and the other two belonged to my grandmother and I've inherited them.

So if you're looking for something wicked good and short at the same time, he is a must. Not only that, his works are meant to be read out loud, not just for yourself but for others enjoyment as well. He wrote these things back when people entertained each other. There was no television or twitter or movie theaters. All he had to work with was the power of his words and the hope that readers everywhere would express them with the same passion he had while writing.

I also find reading his short stories or poetry (especially) makes what he's saying easier to understand since the language and vocabulary used in the mid to late nineteenth century is quite different from today. It's still much more relatible than Shakespeare.

And one last tidbit of information: I happen to live a few blocks away from the cottage he owned & lived in while in The Bronx. Below is a picture & short video of this small 5 room cottage built in 1812.


Trust me when I tell you, that is one TINY house!




What Poe stories have you read?

1 comment:

  1. The Fall of the House of Usher is my favorite Poe story. I don't think there's one I *don't* like, though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...