Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Top Ten Books On My Spring 2014 TBR List


It's been a while since I've done a TTT, but I need to get back to my love of reading (and writing) in order to distract from things around me. At the end of the day isn't that why most of us read? To enter a world unlike our own. And I think the books I plan on reading this Spring fall into that category of "a world unlike my own."
__________________________________________________________________________________

- Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? by Henry Farrell
The story of two sisters, both stars in their own right. One was a childhood stage star who got washed up fairly quickly, while the other became a star in movies during her formidable years. The latter ends up cripple, needing to be taken care of the very jealous, former child star, sister. It was made famous when Joan Crawford and Bette Davis starred in the movie version of this book. I honestly had no idea it was a book till recently and I'm excited to read it.








__________________________________________________________________________________

- Strangers on a Train by Patricia Highsmith
Another movie I've seen (one of my favorite Hitchcock films) and had no idea was originally a book first. I'm beginning to realize that is the case for over 90% of films. This is a great book however for why I don't talk to strangers, EVER. You never know who might end up killing someone for you. Creepy yet ingenious stuff. I'm sure the book will be better than the movie. I have high hopes.









__________________________________________________________________________________

- William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back by Ian Doescher
The 5th story of Star Wars is here! I'm actually pretty excited for this book (out today), and not just because the author personally tweeted me, is now following me on Twitter, and read my review of the first book! The way he is able to tell the story I know from my childhood as if William Shakespeare has written it is really cool and fun.









__________________________________________________________________________________

- Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige
It's a spin on a classic fairytale and if you look at my book collection recently you will see just how much I love classic fairytale's as well as books which spin them.













__________________________________________________________________________________

- The Serpent of Venice by Christopher Moore
The sequel to Fool could not have come ANY faster for me. I love Christopher Moore and every last one of his books. I own them all and I have them all signed by him cause he's a cool guy like that. And if you haven't read Fool I suggest you do right away!












__________________________________________________________________________________

- Mossflower by Brian Jacques
The books of Redwall were not necessarily written in chronological order. Brian jumped around a bit but I have decided to read them in the order that they were published. This would be the 2nd book in a 22 book series! I thoroughly enjoyed the first one and I'm sure I will love the rest of them as well.










__________________________________________________________________________________

- The Bat (Harry Hole, #1) by Jo Nesbo
Never read any of his books but I've heard fairly good things about him and I like to try new authors every now and again that aren't within the YA sphere.













__________________________________________________________________________________

- Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo
After seeing the movie preview for this book, mainly that Greg Kinear is in it, I knew I had to see it opening weekend which means I must get this book read ASAP! Greg does really great tear-jerker movies by the way...












__________________________________________________________________________________

- Splintered by A. G. Howard
Yet another fairytale, like Dorothy Must Die, except this one is a spin on the Wonderland story! I know it's been out for a while now and the 3rd book will probably be coming out before I get to the 2nd one, but I look forward to reading this trilogy.












__________________________________________________________________________________

- Asylum by Madeleine Roux
Now I'm sure this book isn't trying to jump on the Miss Peregrine bandwagon but regardless, I haven't read a book that might be scary or at least suspenseful in some way, like, EVER. I flipped through and looked at some of the pictures which, unlike Ransom Riggs books that are fascinating, hers do seem very creepy. I think this is supposed to become a trilogy as well...










__________________________________________________________________________________

- Vivian Divine is Dead by Lauren Sabel
I have NO idea what this is about. And I believe this is Lauren Sabel's first book so I have nothing to go on with her writing style. But I don't freaking care. The title is awesome and the title is even awesomer! I'm holding this one up on a pedestal that it will probably be the best book I read this Summer. No pressure Lauren!










__________________________________________________________________________________

- The Murder Complex by Lindsay Cummings
I saw this on other peoples list as the book many are looking forward to. Will I like it? Don't know. But it sounds interesting. Add another trilogy to my long list of trilogies I'm reading.













__________________________________________________________________________________

- The Last Policeman by Ben Winters
It's publication is Quirk Books! Is there anything else I need to say? I think not. This publishing empire speaks for itself. And if you don't know Quirk Books then you're missing out!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know why but the cover to Whatever Happened to Baby Jane creeps me out. I too am a big fan of spins on classic tales so Dorothy Must Die is very appealing to me. We're totally on the same page for Vivian Divine is Dead! There is just something about the title and the cover that is so appealing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heaven is For Real, Splintered, and Asylum are all good! You've got several others that are on my list as well.
    Check out my Top 10.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...