Monday, November 18, 2013

The Book Thief (Movie Review)

I gave myself last night to figure out how to review this movie. Let me start by saying I read the book. No, that's not accurate, I devoured the book! And since that time I have put myself on record as saying it is the best book I've ever read in my entire life. I haven't read much but from what I have read that's saying a lot. Some people need to read the book before they see the movie that it's based on. I am one of those people. I honestly don't know why I do it since 9 times out of 10 the movie is either SO different from the book it angers me or SO similar to the book I get bored easily. I'm strange I know.

So, with all that background given allow me to discuss. I'll try not to divulge any spoilers for those of you who have never read the book or make your determination on whether or not to read the book based on watching the movie. There were good points and bad points to this movie. I've decided to start with the bad so I can end on a high note.

Firstly, the last third of the book was basically chucked. Probably to save time since the movie is only a little over 2hrs in length? I felt making this movie 3hrs wouldn't have hurt it at all, but that's just me. Also, the last 3rd is pretty strong in content of the scenes that take place so that could have been it also. If they filmed it the way it was written they might have been looking at an R rating on their hands which is something I'm sure they did not want to risk when making this film.

Secondly (and lastly), the book is called The Book Thief for a reason so when she turns to "borrowing" books that she takes back and forth over a course of several weeks from the Mayors house that took away from the dangers she encounters when stealing a book. It also takes away, to me, very pivotal moments in the book that takes place throughout, and that is what book she steals vs. which books are given to her (and by whom). You have to have read the book to understand what I mean. But by changing the relationship Liesel has with the Mayors wife the whole "book thief" angle fell flat for me.

Now onto the good stuff!

No offense to Geoffrey Rush or Emily Watson (the only two real "stars" of the movie) and also no offense to Sophie Nelisse who portrays Liesel, the book thief, in this movie, but the character who stole the whole thing, including the hearts of just about ever woman in the theater (including myself I'll admit) was Rudy. Wonderful child actor. Smart, good looking but very humble, and hopelessly in love with Liesel, even at such a young age, but not afraid to let his affections be known in grand ways. To me, he was the glue that kept not only the story going but kept Liesel going as well.


Another aspect of the entire film that really helped was that everyone cast (except the two stars) were either of German or Jewish decent. I also appreciated how they were able to go back and forth between subtitles whenever the Nazi's spoke and English (but with distinct German or Jewish accents) for the majority of the movie. For me it kept the whole thing very authentic and as true to life as possible.

If I had to pick one character I feel they got spot on the money I would say it was VERY close for me but Emily Watson's portrayal of Liesel's "mama" was amazing! She got her down to a science. From what I imagined in my head she looked like Emily Watson was the closest, for me. She cold and heartless on the outside but had a warm and caring way about her that few ever saw. She may not get nominated for her role but she definitely made a lasting impression on me.

Mr. Rush has gotten enough accolades from the countless movies he's done and he can add this one to his list of successful successes. He's one Grammy away from ranking among the acclaimed EGOT recipients. Could he do it? I wouldn't put it past him.

This is a Young Adult book meaning children as young as 13 (maybe even younger) have read this book. Now I've read some of these books that are categorized for young adults and I feel they sometimes can be more adult than young in content. Keeping that in mind, and the fact that The Book Thief takes place in the middle of World War II in a small town in Nazi-occupied Germany.

It's narrated by Death. Enough said.

Plot:
The movie tells the story of young Liesel Meminger (Sophie Nélisse). After she finds her first book beside her brother's graveside, she is sent to foster parents Hans (Geoffrey Rush) and Rosa (Emily Watson). While in the comfort of her new found parents, World War II breaks out and Rosa and Hans shelter a Jewish refugee named Max (Ben Schnetzer).
Book Review: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

1 comment:

  1. How can they take away the thieving of the book but still call it "The Book Thief?" Sigh. One day, screen writers/producers will get it right. Another sigh.

    I loved Rudy in the book, too. I SOBBED over Rudy at the end. So...they cut out the part that made me cry for 20 minutes after I'd finished the book?!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...