Monday, April 29, 2013

The Sherlock Holmes Handbook by Ransom Riggs (Book Review)

The Sherlock Holmes Handbook
by Ransom Riggs

203 pages
Quirk Books, 2009
fiction
Read in 2 days
Another Review...

My Rating: ★★★

"The mere fact that you are holding this book allows one to make a number of elementary deductions concerning your disposition: that you nurture an interest in criminals and criminality; that you are at least passingly learned in the literary arts; and, like so many others, that you wish to cast a little light upon (and even emulate) Holmes's almost preternatural genius for reasoning backward from the thinnest of observed effects to uncannily accurate causes."


Review: Probably one of the most comprehensive books I've ever read on Sherlock Holmes. Granted it's the first I've ever read that was about him the character. I find his persona very intriguing, especially when coupled with the various ways he has been portrayed on television throughout the years. Just for fun (and because I'm sure Ransom Riggs wouldn't mind) here are a few photographic examples:

Jeremy Brett
Basil Rathbone

Benedict Cumberbatch (PBS)

Robert Downey Jr. (movie)
Now that I've introduced you briefly to some of the best known actors who've portrayed Sherlock Holmes at one time or another, let me get on with this book. It's not exactly one that needs to be read from cover to cover on the first go through. It's more of a "handbook" hence it's title.

As I said in the beginning, it's very comprehensive in it's details. If you've never read any of the Sherlock Holmes stories you will find yourself a bit lost because of the attention to detail. Ransom does lay out an exceptional blueprint to success. It's so detailed and factual I actually believed I could be Sherlock Holmes and solve crimes as easily as he does.

If you've ever wanted to know how he is able to deduce and decipher with such ease, then reading this book would be an excellent start. I'd almost say this book can be a reference that I'll find myself going back to whenever I venture to reread Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's tales of mystery and suspense.

Summary: “My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don’t know.”

This reader’s companion to the casework of Sherlock Holmes explores the methodology of the world’s most famous consulting detective. From analyzing fingerprints and decoding ciphers to creating disguises and faking one’s own death, readers will learn how Holmes solved his most celebrated cases—plus an arsenal of modern techniques available to today’s armchair sleuths. Along the way, readers will discover a host of trivia about the master detective and his universe: Why did Holmes never marry? How was the real Scotland Yard organized? Was cocaine really legal back then? And why were the British so terrified of Australia? Full of fascinating how-to skills and evocative illustrations, The Sherlock Holmes Handbook will appeal to Baker Street Irregulars of all ages.

If you want to learn more about Ransom Riggs, please visit this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...