Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Shining by Stephen King (Book Review)


The Shining
by Stephen King

447 pages
Doubleday, January 1977
gothic novel/horror
Finished in 7 days
Another Review...

My Rating: ★★★★

"Jack Torrance thought: Officious little prick."

My Review: I know Stephen King is one scary dude when it comes to what he writes. This book is no exception. I saw the movie version of this book over a decade ago and remember very little from it. I think what I find I enjoy most about a Stephen King novel is his simplistic way of allowing the reader to go on a journey with him even in that journey is one that could lead to nightmares for the rest of their life. 

This story, for those who've never read the book, is really about a boy and his ability to hear the thoughts of those he is near. It might seem like the book is about his parents but really it's about this little boy, Danny, and occasionally, about his "imaginary friend" Tony. Now there is of course many layers to this boys story as well as the story of his parents and of the hotel they will be staying at during the duration of the Winter season.

While I was reading this book I often asked myself just how long it would take for me to go stark raving mad, holed up in a hotel, in the middle of nowhere, with absolutely no way of communicating the outside world. My only way of staying sane is with my family who is braving the stay with me. I suppose I would be fine if it were a house we were staying in. But when you add the element of an entire hotel with endless rooms and endless stories of what went on in those rooms? Then things start to get a bit dicey.

My favorite part about he book has to be when the title is explained. I don't think I would be breaking any "spoiler" codes by telling you the answer but just in case...

**SPOILER ALERT**

The idea behind "the shining" is quite simple. The head chef of the hotel they will be staying in during the Winter explains it to Danny because he has the same ability, only not as strong. He tells him the story that his mother told him about the ability to hear other peoples thoughts. He quickly realizes Danny is not only able to hear thoughts but feel them as well as a lot of other things that I'll let you discover on your own.

I won't ruin all the juicy details of the book but if you should dare to take a plunge into this perfectly written tale I suggest you read it with the lights on and NOT while staying at a hotel!

Summary: First published in 1977, The Shining quickly became a benchmark in the literary career of Stephen King. This tale of a troubled man hired to care for a remote mountain resort over the winter, his loyal wife, and their uniquely gifted son slowly but steadily unfolds as secrets from the Overlook Hotel's past are revealed, and the hotel itself attempts to claim the very souls of the Torrance family. Adapted into a cinematic masterpiece of horror by legendary director Stanley Kubrick - featuring an unforgettable performance by a demonic Jack Nicholson - The Shining stands as a cultural icon of modern horror, a searing study of a family torn apart, and a nightmarish glimpse into the dark recesses of human weakness and dementia.

To learn more about Stephen King visit his official site.

4 comments:

  1. What made the fact of their being trapped in the hotel worse for me was all the snow. I already feel claustrophobic when we get more than 4 or 5 inches--I cannot imagine how tremendously terrified I would have felt being trapped in that place with FEET of snow all around me. Oh my goodness.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...