Monday, February 4, 2013

The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller (Book Review)


The Bridges of Madison County
by Robert James Waller

174 pages
Warner Books Inc., 1992
fiction
Finished in 1 day
Another Review...

My Rating: ★★★★ 

"On the morning of August 8, 1965, Robert Kincaid locked the door to his small two-room apartment on the third floor of a rambling house in Bellingham, Washington."

My Review: For a book that is only 174 pages in length it sure did pack a lot of emotion! I've read novels that are over 400 pages simply because that is how much space the author needed to convey what Robert James Waller was able to do in simple sentences. I was instantly placed into the shoes and life of this photographer and farm wife. And while this truly is a love story to end all love stories I did not find it corny or as uncomfortable as I've been apt to find those I've read. I place it in a category such that Gone With the Wind has only been able to fill. My only issue with the story is the fact that the farm wife is a wife! I think it's overlooked because she is unhappy and her life doesn't truly begin until she meets this photographer who is just passing through. Does this promote adultery? Perhaps. But I suppose back then that wasn't the point? The point was the passion that the reader was looking for, that Francesca and Robert were desperately looking for, and all parties involved found it in abundance, on a little farm, near a cleverly hidden bridge, in Madison County.

I have not seen the movie nor do I think I ever will. Not because I don't love Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep, because I do appreciate their great body of work. But because I feel some works of literature should remain as such and nothing more.

The only thing I would have appreciated and feel would have helped move this story along faster was if there were more photographs. Otherwise, if you are looking for a feel good book that will make you laugh, cry, and feel such passion that you haven't felt in a long time, this is the book for you. I guarantee all you'll need is a couple of hours in your busy day to finish it. Enjoy!

Summary: The legendary love story, the bestselling hardcover novel of all time, and the major motion picture starring Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep. This is the story of Robert Kincaid, the photographer and free spirit searching for the covered bridges of Madison County, and Francesca Johnson, the farm wife waiting for fulfillment of a girlhood dream. It shows readers what it is to love and be loved so intensely that life is never the same again.

A timeless, universally appealing story of love and loss. In just four days, two people find one another and commit themselves to each other for a lifetime even though they remain apart.

To learn more about Robert James Waller please visit his wiki page.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...