Monday, June 2, 2014

Maleficent (Movie Review)



This is my review after seeing this movie TWICE over the weekend. Actually, because I live in NYC I was able to see this movie on the evening of May 29th! I loved it SO much (as I knew I would before even seeing it) that I went with a friend to see it on Saturday, May 31st. I will be seeing it a third time, this Friday, June 6th, with another friend who wants to see it. If you haven't seen it yet, or your wondering about how good it is, OR even if you have a child younger than teenage years and your wondering if it's something you can take them to see? This review will answer all those questions (and more).

I'm writing this review from the point of view who has had the opportunity of seeing it twice, meaning the first time I was in awe of the acting and the cinematography. But if you've ever seen a movie more than once you know that every time you see it you find something new you didn't notice the first time. And when you do it's like seeing it all over again for the first time. Even if what you notice is small and probably insignificant to most.

Let me start by discussing the fight scenes, which, unfortunately, were at the forefront of most of the trailers for this movie. I understand the studio wanting to entice people to see this movie, and with a few minutes at their disposal, they went with showing the fight scenes, but don't let that dissuade you from going or taking your pre-teen. This movie has all of 3 major fight sequences but there is NO blood or any real "violence" beyond people being tossed around a lot. Most of it is so quick and blurry you don't see much real fighting anyway. There is also no bad language whatsoever.

Now, what I love about this movie (without giving away any spoilers):

1. It humanizes Maleficent and turns her from this villain we all knew her to be in the Disney movie Sleeping Beauty and makes you realize that her evil ways were simply because she was a victim of circumstance. Nothing more.

2. I think Elle Fanning is one of those diamond in the rough actresses who is awkward to look at at times, but the fact that she is being cast in age appropriate roles is great. She's being asked to actually act her age and it comes off so believable because...well because it is!

3. I know Angelina Jolie has done some great action movies, I will not deny that or argue the point, but THIS has got to be one of the best bit of acting she has done since Changeling in 2008. Don't get me wrong, Salt and Wanted were both great in their own right. But they were both heavily reliant upon action and CGI stuff. This movie obviously did A LOT of CGI animation but you can tell a lot more went into her acting part, and let's face it, she was born to play Maleficent.



4. This story of Maleficent, while dramatically different than Sleeping Beauty, I feel improves upon the story tremendously. I don't want to spoil it for you, but just know it's got an even happier ending than the animated Disney version. I actually prefer this version of the story than its predecessor.

In the end I'm still struggling with whether or not this movie should even be compared with the animated Sleeping Beauty? Not just because one is animated and the other isn't, but because they are very different. I'm still surprised that Disney took the bold step of "un-Disney-fying" they own movie! I hope they take as bold a step in some of their other movies?

And if I may highlight one of the (in my opinion) unsung hero's of this story, Diaval, the Raven, played by Sam Riley. He was pretty freaking awesome in this movie and I just want to point him out because he might get lost in the shuffle of other critics who might mention the 3 fairies or King Stefan over him.



Plot: A vindictive fairy is driven to curse an infant princess only to realize the child may be the only one who can restore peace.

As an added bonus, here is the iconic song from Sleeping Beauty "Once Upon a Dream," done in an extra creepy way. When I first heard it I thought it was Angelina Jolie singing it. But nope, it's Lana del Rey! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...