Saturday, February 22, 2014

Cress by Marissa Meyer (Book Review)

"Her satellite made one full orbit around planet Earth every sixteen hours."

Review: This is the third book of a 4 book series and before I review it, please see my reviews on the first two books, in the Lunar Chronicles, below:


I have to admit, this series is getting better and better as I continue to read them! I'm a huge fan of the writer more than I am of the books so I could be a little biased there, but I admire the fact that Marissa Meyer takes the time to communicate personally with her fans (including me!!) whenever we should ask her a question or just want to say how much we love her books! Not many authors would do that and so I feel it necessary to point out just how much she (and most other rising Young Adult writers) cares about her readers.

Firstly, this is a series that intricately weaves several fables together into one large fantasy filled with hope, despair, and a good old fashioned fairy tale as well. It all started with the all too common story of Cinderella (Cinder) but it was definitely not the one you may have seen on television! This version has droids and Lunars (really creepy human looking aliens), which you won't find in those fairy tales today. But it does maintain the same premise of a girl who seemingly has nothing but herself to look after, living with a step-mother who despises her, and two stepsisters. Luckily, only one of them is wicked, the other is actually quite sweet. But I won't spoil it for you in case you haven't read it yet. There's a Prince (Kai) who meets Cinder and invites her to the ball, where she loses her foot instead of her glass slipper! But you can see where the fairy tale and the fantasy meet and mesh together rather well. I give most of the credit to Marissa who's been doing a tremendous job.

Last year was Scarlet, and I don't think I need to go into the story of Little Red Ridinghood with you? But let's just say I'm sure a lot of the teenage girls quickly fell in love with the character of Wolf instantly. Me? Eh, I could take him or leave him. Personally, not until this third book did I find a character I could truly relate to.

Don't get me wrong, I realize Cinder is at the epicenter of this all. If not for her none of these fairy tales could ever have come together, let alone be fighting to rid the world of the truly evil Queen Levana! But by the end of the second book I didn't really like Cinder who hadn't truly found her confidence and I didn't like Scarlet who seemed a bit too over confident. I'm kind of like Goldilocks who didn't find the "just right" character until this book!

Cress (short for Crescent Moon) is someone who I related to from the very first page of the first chapter! The isolationism, the way she created a world for herself in order to keep her mind active and to keep from feeling like she's going crazy. Also, the way she imagines she's in a movie and essentially is talking to her younger self for company. I was almost ashamed to admit it, but that's ME! And I must thank Marissa Meyer for creating this character (almost just for me) so I would know I'm not the only weirdo! A little daydreaming never hurt anyone, especially if it relaxes you and helps you get through really difficult times. Which, for Cress, if not for her daydreaming and pretending, I don't think she could have survived outside of her satellite.

This story unites the characters who are going to essentially save the world. Namely Cinder, Cress, Captain Carswell, Wolf, & Iko who FINALLY gets a body! Oops, was that a spoiler? Sorry! Anyway, we get a brief glimpse into the life of Cinder's stepmother who I will never feel sorry for and of course we see the Prince as well. In fact, a bit of a kidnapping/rescue mission happens there. The wedding of Queen Levana and Prince Kai is scheduled to happen during this book, if you recall? This is assuming you've read the first two...well, things don't exactly go according to the Queen's plan.

The best part, aside from getting to meet and know Cress, is what happens to Scarlet! I don't want to give it all away, but let's just say through her we get to meet the main character of the fourth (and last) Lunar Chronicles book, Winter! Turns out she's the Queens daughter and I'm not quite sure yet if she's got one too many screws loose or if she's doing a really good job of pretending? Hmm...guess I'll have to wait for February 2015 when Winter comes out! So excited!

Summary: In this third book in Marissa Meyer's bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and prevent her army from invading Earth.

Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl trapped on a satellite since childhood who’s only ever had her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker. Unfortunately, she’s being forced to work for Queen Levana, and she’s just received orders to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue of Cress goes awry, the group is splintered. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a higher price than she’d ever expected. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing prevent her marriage to Emperor Kai, especially the cyborg mechanic. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only hope the world has.

Cress
The Lunar Chronicles, #3
by Marissa Meyer

550 pages
Feiwel and Friends, 2014
Young Adult fiction
Read in 7 days

Rating: ★★★★

To learn more about Marissa Meyer, visit her site here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...