Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (Book Review)

The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak

550 pages
Knopf, USA / March 2006
historical fiction
Read in 7 days
Another Review...

My Rating: ★★★★

"First the colors."

Review: This book, I don't mind or hesitate in saying, is the best book I've ever read in my entire life! I never thought I'd ever find a book that would touch my heart and soul as much as this one did. From the opening lines of "death" introducing himself to us and taking us on a journey with him as he scoured the small towns and neighborhoods during WWII when the Fuhrer was in power and Jews were being slaughtered by the thousands. The sheer idea that must have gone through Markus' mind when coming up with this story is unfathomable to me. He is definitely someone I would love to have a table discussion with on the evolution of this book.

The characters in this book! The whole book, while narrated by death, is told through the moments in Liesel's life. It's the story of a young German girl, living in a small town with foster parents who take in a Jew and hide him for his safety. But there is SO MUCH MORE to the story than just that. There are the lives that are forever changed and transformed by events that take only seconds to happen but last a lifetime in the mind and especially in the words of the book thief.

I almost found myself unable to properly review this book, which I found ironic since this book takes us through stages of literature really, and the love so few get from it. It starts out with Liesel's curiosity in wanting to learn how to read, so her foster father, Hans, teaches her. Then it develops into storytelling, which she masters really from Max, the Jew who her foster parents hide in their basement. The next step is increasing her vocabulary. She accomplishes this by soaking in the unbelievable library shown to her by the mayors wife. Which leads to the final part, but really the beginning, taking all she has learned and turning the words she's read and spoken and writing them down into her own story. The story our narrator finds in his journey of picking up souls to carry over to the other side, as is his job.

Again, I feel like I'm not giving this book the accolades it deserves because there are so many layers to peel back and examine. This is a book that can be analyzed in the classroom. It's a book that can be discussed in any family dynamic. It's also a book that can be dissected among friends on several levels. I will forever recommend this book and I know I will end up having read it multiple times before MY time on this Earth is done.

Synopsis: It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .



Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

If you want to learn more about Markus Zusak, please visit his site.

I selected this post to be featured on Book Review Blogs. Please visit the site and vote for my blog!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you loved it! I cried...and cried...and cried at the (almost) end. Oh my. I don't think a book has ever made me cry that much.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...