Monday, March 25, 2013

Top Ten Books I Recommend the Most

toptentuesday (1)


For future Top Ten Tuesday topics & info on how to participate, click here!

Strangely enough, I'm not asked very often for book suggestions! Which is odd because I read almost every genre and have quite a library of choices depending on what genre you enjoy most. I truly enjoy this Top Ten Tuesday the most. I've thought long and hard about all the books I've read over the years, from childhood till now, and I think I've come up with a darn good list. I hope you all enjoy it!

andthentherewerenone
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

This book is probably the one I've read the most. Not only have I read it the most but I also happen to own the most copies of this book. It seems, no matter how many times I come across it in a book store I always feel like I don't have it (knowing it's my favorite) so I buy it, read it, then add it with the others. So far I own 4 copies of this book. Aside from the book there are several movie versions as well. Some of them have the same title and others might be called "Ten Little Indians" if you're interested. It's a mystery about a group of strangers brought on a deserted island with only revenge in mind.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lamb 
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore

While I don't own several copies of this book (I gave away my first copy and bought a new one which is signed by the author along with ALL his other books!!) I have read it several times. It might not be factual but it certainly will make you laugh till you're crying. Christopher Moore is by far my favorite male comedic writer alive today. If you haven't read it AND can take a joke when it comes to religion, I highly suggest this book.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
phantomtollbooth-coverThe Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

Yet another great read. Yes, this is more for young adults but I really love this book. It's one of the few I actually remember my mom reading to me before I went to bed. I loved being read to. This is also a great book for kids in general. It's got fantasy, adventure, problem solving, great vocabulary words, and of course, what every great YA book SHOULD have, a moral to the story. The movie is pretty awesome as well with this one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Animal FarmAnimal Farm by George Orwell

One of the shortest and greatest literary works I've ever read. I think it's shorter than Fahrenheit 451? Anyhow, I read this back when I was in high school and was fascinated with it ever since. It's one of those that can be read in one day and as you're reading it, instantly the story comes alive in your mind. I know that there have been several movies done about this book. I've never seen them. Why ruin a great thing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


-----------------------------------------------------------------
Eloise by Kay Thompson / Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish / Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans

There are at least a dozen reasons why everyone should read these books and every household in America (whether with a child or not) should own a copy of these books. For me, I look at these books, decades later from having first read them, and I can see the evolution of women in books. I'm sure today it would be hard to find an Eloise (the independently minded child), an Amelia Bedelia (the good intentions child), or a Madeline (the opinionated yet understanding child) in children's literature today. Or if there is I'm sure it's not quite the same. I own all three, the originals from when I was a child, and I look forward to passing them on to my daughter (if I ever am lucky enough to have one).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


What a treat it was to read this book! Almost as awesome as getting to meet her when she came to NYC the night her book hit the shelves! This book had me laughing till I was crying from the first sentence to the last. No seriously it did. If you're not laughing from the opening paragraph then you need to have your funny bone examined. She is so truthful about her life and it's great to read. I hope she is hard at work on her next book cause I'll be first in line to get it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gone With The WindGone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Probably the longest single book I've ever read so far (Les Miserables is on my TBR list for this year!) yet reading it was so effortless. If not for it weighing a ton I would never have believed how long this book actually was. Unfortunately, I had seen the movie several times before having read the book. But for me they both could stand apart from each other. The book is better obviously, but books almost always are when compared to the movie version. Women will probably like and "get" this book (or the movie for that matter) better than men.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I just finished reading this book this month and it was amazing. That is big coming from me cause I usually don't read "self-help" oriented books, which this IS NOT. I would recommend this book to all those who are introverts and I would urge any who has a group of workers they manage to read this. It provides helpful hints on how to appreciate being an introvert or knowing someone who is an introvert if you aren't. I found this book informative and empowering.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

alchemistThe Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

I never knew of Mr. Coelho until a friend recommended I read this book. This is definitely one of those that makes you think and you'll find yourself wanting to take notes. It's loaded with symbolism and lines you'll want to quote. I definitely discovered a lot about myself and those I surround myself with. It was a learning experience and I'd recommend this author as well because all he writes is about journey's to self-discovery.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Complete Sherlock HolmesThe Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Last but certainly not least, I leave you with one of the greatest mystery writers every who created one of the greatest minds anyone will ever know. Sherlock Holmes made mystery & suspense cool for me. If not for Sir Doyle's writings I would never have read others like Agatha Christie's Poirot or Rex Stouts Nero Wolfe, for example. If you want a reason to read the collection of short mysteries I suggest watching Jeremy Brett portray him. For me he was WAY better in performance than Basil Rathbone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, there they are. I realize as I look at them, I've read most of them way before I starting this whole reviewing books I read blog. Perhaps I should revisit old friends? Reread them and review them? Looks like I've just added MORE books to my TBR list for this year!

These are what I consider to be the best of the best, for me. You won't go wrong if you give any of them a try. What would you recommend for me to read? What have you read that left a lasting impression on you?

4 comments:

  1. I brought the most beautiful Sherlock Holmes complete set, it's 2 books hard cover and it just looks so beautiful and it's quite old but very well looked after. I got it at a seconds sale!

    My Top Ten.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I love Agatha Christie novels! Whenever we're on a road trip we'll listen to an audiobook of one of her books and we're set! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice, varied list. I love that there's something for everyone. I really liked AND THEN THERE WERE NONE and GONE WITH THE WIND. Amelia Bedelia was one of my very favorite book characters when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great list! I too loved Animal Farm. I need to reread it because it has been ages. Gone with the Wind- wow! I definitely want to read Christie's And Then There Were None. My book group read Midnight on the Orient Express and really enjoyed it. Amelia Bedelia was always one of my favorites when I was younger. I still love those illustrations! Thanks for visiting me @ The Key to the Gate. Have a great week!
    Happy Reading,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...